Essential Reading: If You Find Me - Prep Essentials

Lifestyle

Lifestyle
Lifestyle

Fashion

Fashion
Fashion

College & Post-Grad

College & Post-Grad
College & Post-Grad

Essential Reading: If You Find Me

After a long and crazy week of nonstop midterms, projects and papers I am finally done with the chaos and treating myself to some much needed relaxation time. The only thing that got me through the week was the thought of curling up in my bed with a book, a movie, and a glass of wine.

You'd think I would be tired of reading after endless pages of textbooks and lecture notes for 9 days straight, but nothing helps me unwind more than letting myself get completely transported to a new world by diving into a great book, especially if I have time to read the entire thing. 

You absolutely must read "If You Find Me", by Emily Murdoch. This book was extraordinarily well-written. The author does such an incredible job of capturing the essence of the main characters in a particularly difficult story line - don't worry no spoilers here! 


The story is about two sisters who were raised in a trailer in the middle of the woods of Tennessee by their drug-ridden mother who kidnapped them at a young age. After eight long years, the girls are finally found and are plunged into an unfamiliar and scary world of civilized society where they attempt to uncover the truth about what happened to them and seek balance between who they are and who they were supposed to be. 

This story is incredibly powerful and compelling until the very end as you try to determine the truth about the sisters' stories and the hardships they have faced. Admittedly, in the beginning I was a little irritated by the backwoods slang of the main character but later realized how important it is to the character's personality, so don't let that turn you away!

What really struck me about this book was how well the author could capture such a difficult and unimaginable hardship with such realism. She connects so well to how I imagine such an experience would feel that I even ended up googling the author to see if she was writing from personal experience. (She wasn't, but you could have fooled me!)

I seriously recommend this book as essential reading! Any suggestions on what I should read next? Cosmopolitan suggested "Help for the Haunted" by John Searles - has anyone else read that one? 

Comment if you read this, I would absolutely love to hear what you all think!

xoxo

6 comments

  1. This book sounds like it would keep me at the edge of my seat. Thanks for the suggestion!
    -Alex
    http://www.monstermisa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely will, I couldn't put it down!

      Delete
  2. In college I could still sit down and read even after reading school books all day. I'll have to try this one!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! Some of my friends think I'm crazy but I think it is the perfect way to unwind!

      Delete
  3. This book sounds really intriguing - it has definitely gone onto my 'to read' list! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime, I hope you like it as much as I did!

      Delete