Stop Complaining, Start Solving - Prep Essentials

Lifestyle

Lifestyle
Lifestyle

Fashion

Fashion
Fashion

College & Post-Grad

College & Post-Grad
College & Post-Grad

Stop Complaining, Start Solving

I'm not a huge fan of resolutions. I prefer to set goals and map out what I need to do in order to accomplish those goals. Setting resolutions, in my opinion, is a little bit like giving something up for Lent. (I am in no way mocking the idea of Lent, I just don't personally practice it). I feel like when you set a resolution, you're implying that a person can change overnight. "I resolve to work out every single day from now on". "I will give up desserts for Lent". Once you break your resolution, it seems like the entire thing falls by the wayside. It brings about the logic that you've already broken it once and failed, so you might as well call the whole thing a wash and consider a new resolution next year.

When you set a goal, you expect there to be complications and setbacks. Missteps and failures in your path towards accomplishing it. But there is still a finish line that you can set your sights upon. You have steps mapped out that make your goal seem more achievable. It allows time for you to change, rather than relying upon the silly notion that because a party full of people counted down to midnight you can suddenly change a habit you've likely had your entire life with the snap of your fingers. Change takes time.

In honor of the fall season, I have decided to set a new goal for myself. (Actually, it is a goal I have set in the past but never truly dedicated myself to, so I am re-dedicating myself to this goal by actually setting out plans to accomplish it).

This was brought on by a quote I found while perusing Pinterest (as per usual) the other day. 


Perfectly said. 

If I'm being honest with myself, I complain way more often that I mean to. I don't even realize I am doing it sometimes, and later on realize what a downer I was being. I often mistake complaining for venting - and I totally believe venting is important and normal behavior; to an extent - but I always end up kicking myself and realizing what a pain I must be when I go on one of my rants.

I live an extremely blessed life. While that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have problems or pains that upset me, many of the things I find myself complaining about are completely within my control. Whether they are troubles with my grades, boys, or friends, there is always something, no matter how small, that can be done about it. If I spent the time I use complaining about these issues actually resolving them, I think my life would be a lot less stressful and a lot more satisfying.

So that's it - my new goal for myself. Anytime I find myself complaining about something, I am going to take however many minutes I spent complaining and use the same amount of time trying to work towards a resolution for my problem. I think it will be a long process, but in the end very cleansing and refreshing.

What are your goals you're currently working towards?

xoxo

No comments