Lifestyle

Lifestyle
Lifestyle

Fashion

Fashion
Fashion

College & Post-Grad

College & Post-Grad
College & Post-Grad

My Tradition of No Traditions

I would love to be able to write a post about my annual Thanksgiving traditions and rituals that I am looking forward to as Thanksgiving break rapidly approaches, but the truth of the matter is there is just no such thing. My Thanksgiving is different every single year, which is exciting on some level but also mildly disappointing.

Having divorced parents, holidays are always a bit topsy turvy as you try and split your time evenly. It's hard enough to share your time with your parents during regular days of the year, but when holidays roll around it becomes a whole different animal. Especially if your parents are re-married, something I was fortunate enough to have on both sides of my family. That meant I have not one, not two, but four families to share my holiday seasons with! Talk about frantic!

This year, I am doing something entirely new, and spending Thanksgiving with my closest friends in the entire world back home in Louisville, and escaping away to their lake house with their family. This might sound odd to some people, but I feel as close (possibly even more close at times) with my friends Lyle and Layne and their family. I have known them all literally since birth - their grandparents feel like my grandparents, and half of the time I catch myself calling their mother, "Mom!"

Judging from what I know about previous Thanksgivings, mine will probably spent with a few days in Louisville catching up with old friends over dinners and wine nights, possibly a few parties, and then a trip off to the lake house for amazing meals and fun outdoor activities like their annual football game in the front yard with their neighbors. I can't wait!

If I have any tradition for Thanksgiving, it's a bit of a silly one. I always without fail watch all of the Gossip Girl Thanksgiving episodes, every single year. I love watching Blair and her obsession with her traditions like her father's pumpkin pie recipe. I think I was always a little bit jealous that her Thanksgivings always carried traditions, but I found familiarity in the fact that no matter what, the Gossip Girl Thanksgivings always ended up being just as chaotic and ever-changing as mine are! (Plus Blair's Thanksgiving dresses were always to die for!)

Who can forget the Thanksgiving where the truth reveals itself - about seven times - at Thanksgiving dinner in this episode?

And I can never stop laughing at this glimpse of the "old" Serena and her insistence that her drinking was meant to keep lonely people company during the holiday season?

Do you have super traditional Thanksgivings, or are yours different and changing every year like mine?
What are your favorite Thanksgiving traditions?! I'd love to hear all about them!

xoxo

No comments