Putting On My Face - Prep Essentials

Lifestyle

Lifestyle
Lifestyle

Fashion

Fashion
Fashion

College & Post-Grad

College & Post-Grad
College & Post-Grad

Putting On My Face

I've been hesitant for a while about whether or not I should do a post about my makeup routine. The truth is, I don't really wear much makeup. Every time I say this I either get eye rolls in disbelief or angry glares that I don't "need" makeup.

It's not that I think I don't need makeup, but growing up my dad always pushed that the prettiest look any woman can go for is a natural one, and I guess somewhere along the road that logic started to make sense to me. I don't like the idea of spending 45 minutes "putting on my face" because it feels too much like a charade - eventually the mask has to come off, and I don't want people to be surprised by what they see.


The other reason? I really don't know a thing about makeup.

Smoky eye? Couldn't do one if my life depended on it. (Eyeshadow as a whole concept is honestly pretty foreign to me.) I don't trust myself with mascara because whenever I wear it I seem to end up crying or smudging it down by rubbing my eyes, so I swore off of it early on in high school. My makeup routine is pretty simple, but I like to think it works for me.

I do the same thing every day: 
1. Put a dash of pressed foundation on any redness on my cheeks (I have perpetually pink cheeks)
2. A light layer of bronzer all over my face
3. A thin layer of black eyeliner on the inside of my lower lid. 

Hardly an intensive makeup regimen, I know. On a "heavy" makeup day, I might use Garnier under-eye de-puffer, and a tiny swipe of Laura Mercier metallic creme liquid eye color in Gold to lighten up my dark circles. 

For going out, I do the exact same routine except I add some shimmery light gold E.L.F. mineral eye shadow and a thin line of dark brown eyeshadow along my upper eyelid.

Here is where people really think I'm crazy - I don't wash my face. It may sound gross, but hear me out! I am blessed with very clear skin. The closest thing I ever get to a "breakout" is a small blemish every month or two. (This is the part where most of my friends decide they actually hate me). I realized in high school that when I do wash my face, I immediately break out! I have no explanation for this phenomenon, so I just leave it alone! If necessary, I wash off my minimal makeup with Neutrogena Makeup Removing Wipes, and for those few times a year when I do "break out" I use Clean & Clear Acne Spot Treatment and it's gone by the next morning!


Nothing exciting, and possibly even a little bit plain, but this is what works for me. If you're ever going for a natural look that keeps you from looking like a zombie, this is what I recommend! 

xoxo

3 comments

  1. Wow so lucky that you never have to wash your face and that you are blessed with clear skin! I do love the quote you used!
    -Alex
    http://www.monstermisa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I definitely am very very blessed but trust me I don't take it for granted! And I love that quote too, I think its something more women should keep in mind. Personality shines way more than any amount of BB cream or shimmery makeup could ever provide.

      Delete
  2. I am also a bare faced veteran! I actually really like playing with makeup and will spend HOURS watching makeup tutorials on YouTube but ugh, I kind of hate wearing it. I almost never wore it throughout most of high school and in college began occasionally wearing some, though I considered Burts Bees and a touch of mascara or eyeliner to be a job well done for me in all honesty.
    Now that I'm working, I don't want to seem unprofessional or unpolished by not wearing it but gosh, I just do not care to wear a full face of slap while working 10 or 12 hour days. #thestruggle

    ReplyDelete