Lifestyle

Lifestyle
Lifestyle

Fashion

Fashion
Fashion

College & Post-Grad

College & Post-Grad
College & Post-Grad

Resolution or Excuse?

First of all - HAPPY NEW YEAR! It has been another incredible year writing this blog, and I'm so grateful to all of my readers!



I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm really not a fan of New Year's Resolutions. Is it really a resolution, or are we just making excuses and reasons to further procrastinate things we should start doing right this minute? Sitting down and saying "Well, after January 1st I'm going to start working out. In the meantime, pass the cake!" might be fun (goodness knows I've been guilty of that exact statement about a million times) but why are we waiting until January 1st?

If you want to make a change in your life, the time is right now. If anything, waiting until January 1st makes you less likely to stick to it, because you followup with the logic that a lot of people give up on resolutions, not to mention you're in a post-holiday slump and not on your A-game. 

After the holidays, you're feeling extra lazy, extra relaxed, your routine is off-kilter, and you've been chowing down on holiday treats for weeks, not to mention spending triple what you normally do. I can't think of a worse time to try and make a positive change in your life!

Make a change when you're on top of your game, your routine is set, and your mind is in a clear and content place. If you genuinely want to do something different, I urge you to bypass this silly holiday tradition and figure out the best time for yourself to do something different. 

The more specific and practical you are, the more likely you are to succeed. Don't simply say, "I want to eat healthier". Be specific! Instead, say something like, "I want to cut out sodas" or "I want to try to eat fruit at least once a day". These are much more manageable, and less easy to cheat with. Make it something you can easily cross off of a daily or weekly checklist, where you can track your progress and visually see your goals. 

Don't make excuses this year - make 2015 the year that you actually make a change!

Happy New Year, and I hope that 2015 is the best one yet for all of you!

post signature

1 comment

  1. I kind of have to agree, when I make resolutions I never follow through. I prefer setting goals for the year, month, and week, sometimes I don't accomplish everything, but at least I do make some progress, rather than doing nothing at all. Happy New Year

    Lori,
    http://loriscreativity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete