Lifestyle

Lifestyle
Lifestyle

Fashion

Fashion
Fashion

College & Post-Grad

College & Post-Grad
College & Post-Grad

6 Quick + Easy Smoothie Recipes for Busy Mornings

Despite the absolutely unbearable winter air that's been delivered to us lucky Chicago residents, I've been starting most of my mornings off with a smoothie for breakfast - note: I have definitely been finishing these before I go outside...

I've really been focusing on sticking to my healthy routine that I've developed in the last couple of months, and while I've never been a big breakfast person, I have to have something before I head to the gym and start a full day of work. Still, the thought of food when I first wake up has never really appealed to me, so smoothies are the perfect compromise! 

I used to think they were difficult, expensive and time-consuming, but I have finally nailed down a couple of recipes that I absolutely love - and the best part is, I really just invented them by playing around with the same groups of ingredients until I found something that worked! 

You absolutely can have very quick, simple & cheap smoothies every day without taking up much of your time or money!


*Note - most of these ingredients can be either fresh or frozen, and you can substitute honestly anything that you do/don't like - I tend to use frozen ingredients because I don't have to worry about them going bad and they're so much cheaper in the winter!*

1. Sweet Berry Lemonade Smoothie - This is my personal favorite, although some people may find it a tad bit too sweet. The trick is using Simple Lemonade Raspberry Lemonade as the liquid ingredient (as opposed to my usual orange juice, water, or coconut water).

1 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1 cup Simply Lemonade Raspberry Lemonade
A few spoonfuls of non-fat vanilla yogurt (use your own discretion, I usually do 2-3 but it depends what thickness you want!)


2. Banana Berry Blast Smoothie - Another great and easy one, you can use any bag of mixed berries (frozen bags come in assortments) or you can just choose your favorites!

1/2 banana
1 cup mixed berries
1 cup orange juice
A few spoonfuls of non-fat vanilla yogurt (use your own discretion, I usually do 2-3 but it depends what thickness you want!)


3. Black + Blue Breakfast Smoothie - This one is great when I'm looking for something different - the combination of blackberries and blueberries is a much more tart flavor than my go-to strawberries I tend to reach for.

1/2 banana
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup blackberries
A few spoonfuls of non-fat vanilla yogurt (use your own discretion, I usually do 2-3 but it depends what thickness you want!)


4. Green with Envy Smoothie - This one took me the longest to perfect, and the secret ingredient turned out to be the lemon juice (big surprise, I put lemon on absolutely everything!) It's incredibly healthy and definitely gives me the most energy. This is what I reach for if I know I have a particularly big day coming up.

1 cup almond milk (or coconut water - up to you!)
3/4 cup spinach
3/3 cup kale
1/2 lemon squeezed for fresh lemon juice
1 pear or apple, sliced/chopped to make blending easier - yes you can leave the skin on!
*For extra flavor, try adding honey, agave nectar or vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp*


5. Very Berry Green Smoothie - If an all-green smoothie is something you just can't quite love yet, try this one instead. The added berries make it a little more familiar & fruity, while still giving you all of the incredible nutrients from ingredients like kale!

1 cup almond milk (or coconut water - up to you!)
1/2 handful of kale + 1/2 handful of spinach
1 cup apple, chopped (you can leave the skin on)
1 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 lemon squeezed for fresh lemon juice
*For special extras, try adding 1 Tbsp of chia seeds or 1 Tbsp of nut butter (almond or peanut butter)


6. Tropical Health Storm Smoothie - This one is great for mornings that I wake up and the weather says 1 degree...good morning Chicago! The tropical flavors let me daydream I'm somewhere much warmer while I get ready in the morning...and it's so delicious!

1 cup almond milk (or coconut water - up to you!)
1 cup kale or spinach
1/2 banana
1 cup frozen pineapple or blueberries
A few spoonfuls of non-fat vanilla yogurt (use your own discretion, I usually do 2-3 but it depends what thickness you want!)


Happy sipping, and let me know what you think of some of these! Hopefully they will help you start your mornings energized, alert and ready to take on the world!

post signature

3 comments

  1. Love this! I'm a smoothie person in the morning so I'll definitely be trying one of these.

    S .xx http://ramblingsofayoungprgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. I can't wait to blend those smoothies. All natural, it's good for the skin and hair. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're all so delicious - you'll have to let me know which is your favorite! It's a great way to start the day, especially because I'm usually running out the door!

      Delete