The Only 5 Jackets You Need This Spring - Prep Essentials

Lifestyle

Lifestyle
Lifestyle

Fashion

Fashion
Fashion

College & Post-Grad

College & Post-Grad
College & Post-Grad

The Only 5 Jackets You Need This Spring

It certainly hasn't been a conventional spring so far (snow in April? thanks Chicago!) But I'm holding out hope that it changes soon...in the meantime, the need for jackets and lots of light layers has never been more real. Minus the snow, this breezy almost weather is actually my favorite - light layers are by far my favorite way to dress.

It's so hard to know when a jacket is appropriate or too much this time of year though! Rather than buying 50 different jackets of varying warmth, make it simple and stick to these core 5 - you'll never be improperly dressed again - and you'll be doing it in style!


1. The Spring Trench Coat
Where to even start with these beauties...I finally bought my first trench coat this fall from Nordstrom Rack (most similar to this one here) and I absolutely love it. I got tan because it is versatile and works great for fall and spring, especially if you accessorize it right! While making this post though, I found this one and oh my gosh I am in love. The color, the stripes and the hood are so adorable and perfect. Talk about making a rainy day brighter! I always covet this Michael Kors coat (40% off right now!) when I see it around the city and I see it often. Go with something classic for your first one - save the fun colors for round two!



2. Classic Moto Jacket
Long on my list (we're talking years here, people) I could never find just the right one. Moto jackets, especially leather ones, are tricky because they're all about the details and it seems like whenever I looked in stores I'd find one detail I just wasn't content with. Last week I'm proud to say I bought this one, and I'm so in love with it (keep your eyes peeled for a fashion post featuring this jacket soon!) So you can imagine my frustration surprise when I began to search for options for this post and found all of these amazing choices! By far my favorite (besides the one I already own) is this one. The color, style and shape are perfect! Plus I love that it's a little different, and would definitely work for fall too. Moto jackets are great for layering over dresses, or with cropped jeans and a light top while we transition into warmer weather!

3. The Military Jacket
These jackets are great because so many people wear them in the fall and spring - partly because they come in so many different shades of dark green. A lot of them are also in navy, varying shades of grey & charcoal, and even white! Personally, I've had the downtown field jacket from J.Crew for a while, and I still wearing it constantly (and I'm a little jealous how many colors they've added since my purchase). It's classic, and the fit looks flattering on everyone. I'm really loving the softness and pattern of this one though, and I can name so many dresses and basic tees I would want to pair with one of the looser green options!


4. Drape-Front Cardigans & Jackets
The ultimate piece to your wardrobe for all things layering - this item is absolutely essential. I've had a thin black one similar to this one for years, and it is a staple in my wardrobe year-round. Every good fashionista knows that layers need texture & depth to really pull an outfit together, and these are just the thing. I especially love them because you can pile them on the bottom of a few other pieces if it's cold, or throw it over a tank on a hot day where you just aren't feeling the "naked shoulders" look.


5. The Classic Jean Jacket
This one needs little explanation - one of the most ultimate wardrobe staples of all time. A little bit harder to recommend my top picks, because everyone is very particular about the coloring, style, size and shape they prefer their jean jacket to be. Personally, I've had a trusty cropped faded wash one that has never let me down - but now that light denim is making a serious #comeback I really have my eye on this one and this one.

Layer up and keep your fingers & toes crossed for bluer skies asap!

post signature

No comments