How to Master Your College Beauty Routine! - Prep Essentials

Lifestyle

Lifestyle
Lifestyle

Fashion

Fashion
Fashion

College & Post-Grad

College & Post-Grad
College & Post-Grad

How to Master Your College Beauty Routine!

I've never really considered myself as a person who has a "beauty routine", considering I didn't even learn how to do more makeup than eyeliner + mascara until my senior year of college! (No, seriously...) Despite my minimalist approach, there were definitely some adjustments that had to be made once I arrived at Miami as a bright-eyed freshman. 

First and foremost, you no longer have your own private space to do your makeup, shower, and general hygiene activities (or maybe you're already used to sharing with a sibling, but probably not with 10-30 other girls!) This means that you'll need to decide which parts of your regimen you want to do in your room with a private mirror + better lighting (such as makeup), and which aspects are easier in the larger bathroom where you have more space.


Everyone has their own personal preference, and it likely won't take you long to figure out on your own what works best for you...but there are definitely some tips + products that will help make the transition much smoother, and help you get from your bed to the classroom as quickly as possible (meaning you can justify hitting snooze just one more time each morning!)

For the Shower...


There are a lot of different options out there for shower caddies, totes and storage, but I learned this lesson the hard way...you definitely want something that will hang on a hook of some kind. Setting the big plastic bins like these on the floor of the shower not only gets everything soaking wet, but personally it kinda grossed me out...not to mention it takes up some much-needed floor space in your dorm room. You're better off buying a tote or hanging organizer, and a few hooks like these to keep your towel, products, and robe all in one (dry) place!

PS - I was initially against the idea of a robe, but immediately asked my parents to send me one about a week after arriving to school so I could wear it while I dried my hair in the main bathroom...it was too small of a space for such a loud and heat-producing activity in the dorm room!

For Your Makeup...


Desk space is definitely limited in the dorm (and in my opinion, taken for granted). You want this to be a multi-use space, which means keeping things organized and out of the way whenever they aren't being used. Having cute and convenient travel cases and storage bags for all of your makeup + beauty supplies will let you use your desk for actual studying when you need...and transform into a vanity when it's time to primp! I also highly recommend finding a small (preferably cordless) makeup mirror to stow away, because the lighting in dorm bathrooms is not flattering. A makeup mirror with it's own light also comes in handy if your roommate gets to sleep in later than you!

If you're lucky enough to have some extra space for a storage cart or set of drawers (I did - as long as I didn't mind blocking off a small part of my closet) it can make a huge difference for makeup, extra school supplies, additional sheets + towels, etc.

If You Have a Private Bathroom...

Colleges are seriously stepping up their game these days with renovated dorms including en-suite bathrooms or semi-private bathrooms that you share with one other dorm room (major jealousy!). It all varies depending on the school, but this could mean you need to bring a few additional bathroom supplies, especially if you're living off-campus somewhere. It might be a few more items to remember, but at least it's a personalized space!

Don't forget to check out my other favorite and most popular back-to-school edition posts, too!








post signature

No comments