Blowout at DryBar: Pros & Cons - Prep Essentials

Lifestyle

Lifestyle
Lifestyle

Fashion

Fashion
Fashion

College & Post-Grad

College & Post-Grad
College & Post-Grad

Blowout at DryBar: Pros & Cons

One of the items on my bucket list for October was to finally see what all the hype was about and get my first blowout at DryBar.  Luckily, I had the perfect opportunity for a girls day when my parents were in town, and we went to the Lincoln Park location near my apartment! 

We started off the day with a brunch at Hampton Social (which was amazing, and if you haven't been there yet or are planning a trip to Chicago soon I highly recommend it!) then headed over to DryBar to get a little bit of pampering. 

It looked like it was a fairly busy day there, and they were running about 15 minutes behind but we weren't in any hurry. The first thing I noticed was that it wasn't hot in there at all - this might be a strange observation, but with 8 hair dryers going full blast right in front of you, this was so odd to me! Girls were getting all kinds of different styles, including one really pretty updo with braids that I loved. (The rest of their style lookbook is pretty great, too!)

PS - I'm going to apologize in advance for the total lack of pictures/poor quality - I was a little too distracted during the process to get anything better than a few Snapchats and Instagram stories!



This was right after the stylist was finished! 

This was at the College Fashion Week Event about 4-5 hours after my blowout (and after some touch-ups I did myself at home!)

Once they had our details settled we went upstairs to get our hair rinsed and ready. We opted to get the Bay Breeze Hydrating Shot treatment in addition to our blowouts which is meant to (obviously) hydrate dry, weak or color-treated hair. 

Then we were whisked off to our chairs to get started on the styling. Thankfully they had tons of magazines and movies playing on screens in front of you (with subtitles, of course) so it was so nice to just sit back, relax and let someone else do the work for you! I chose the Cosmo-Tai style for a relaxed and loose curled look.

At the end, I absolutely loved the look, and we both picked out a few products to keep so that we could try and re-create it ourselves! You can shop what we picked out below (but this one is my personal favorite and apparently their best-seller!) One of my favorite parts of the products is that they don't smell like chemicals...they actually smell really nice!



*The stylists were incredibly helpful, so don't be afraid to ask questions and get tips for how/when to use certain products!*

I know there are different ways that they recommend to prolong your Blowout, but this was the part that really disappointed me. My curls were almost completely gone within a few short hours - I can't say for sure if this was common, or if it's because we sat on a fairly windy patio (I'm leaning towards blaming the patio, but it was still a disappointment!)

Thankfully, with the help of my favorite straightener and some of my new products (like this hairspray) it only required a few touch-ups to be good as new! Here are the pros and cons broken down:

Pros: For a fairly low price point, it was definitely a great pampering experience with great products and stylists, and plenty of options to choose from. I think you would most benefit if you're looking to do an updo on a cheaper budget!

Cons: I'm not 100% confident that the loose and relaxed curls last long enough for it to necessarily be worth your money (unless you think you can rescue it on your own as it starts to fall down). The products might be a better bang for your buck than the experience itself!

Overall, for $40 + tip I would absolutely recommend looking up your nearest location and giving it a try the next time you have a special event or maybe just a big date! There are tons of styles to choose from, and hopefully you can be smarter than I was and avoid a windy patio! 

Has anyone else tried DryBar (or another blowout salon?) I would love to hear if anyone else had similar pros and cons with the experience!

post signature

No comments