Lifestyle

Lifestyle
Lifestyle

Fashion

Fashion
Fashion

College & Post-Grad

College & Post-Grad
College & Post-Grad

Arugula + Spinach Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette

I am by no means anything remotely resembling a food blogger (although man do I envy them. Their photos and meals always look #unreal). Does anyone else's Facebook newsfeed consist of mainly Tasty videos?? My skills aren't that good, so please forgive my office lunchroom photos...I tend to get very proud of my cooking efforts!

That being said, I've really grown to love cooking more and more with each passing year. Now that I'm working full time, meal prep on Sundays and trying new recipes has become one of my favorite parts of my weekly routine. It has made staying healthier, saving money, and feeling balanced really just come together for me. 

I recently wanted to find a great salad recipe that could actually tide me over throughout the day (so that my stomach isn't growling for my entire Pure Barre class to hear after work...so embarrassing!) but that would also be healthy and not loaded with unnecessary fats. 

That's when I stumbled upon this amazing arugula and spinach salad with chicken, lemon dressing, and apples...and decided to add a few ingredients of my own! The lemon dressing was homemade too, which only took a few minutes but left me feeling much better about it. I always worry that no salad is truly healthy once you add the dressing!


_________________________________________________________________________________

Salad Ingredients (Makes 4 servings):
  • 7 generous handfuls of spinach
  • 4 generous handfuls of arugula
  • 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces (optional)
  • 1 granny smith apple, sliced into 1 inch pieces
  • 3 cups walnuts
  • 2 cups parmesan flakes
Dressing Ingredients:
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice (add more to taste if you want - I prefer mine with extra lemon!)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
*For Dressing Serving Sizes - I doubled the recipe to make enough for the week! Feel free to adjust the amounts to taste. Experimenting turned out just fine for me!)

Directions:
  1. Cook chicken in deep pan with extra olive oil, thoroughly. Drain pain and set chicken aside in bowl. 
  2. Combine spinach and arugula in a bowl. Toss well. 
  3. Add apple slices, walnuts, and parmesan. Mix well with spinach and arugula.
  4. Add chicken to mixture. 
  5. If eating immediately, toss with dressing. If not, keep separate and add dressing with each serving. 
  6. Enjoy!
Additional Notes: I used one full "pre-packaged" bag of spinach, and 3/4 of a bag of arugula to yield a serving size large enough for meal prep for a 5-day work week. I kept the dressing separated, and added additional lemon juice for an extra tangy taste. 


The great thing about easy salads is that you can totally adjust the ingredients however you wish - and it won't upset the balance of the cooking gods the way it does with things like baking! ;)

This recipe was amazing, surprisingly filling, and kept me feeling light and satisfied throughout the entire week. I hope you all love it as much as I did!

If you want more of my recipes, you can find more of my favorites here and here and here!

post signature

No comments