A Sensitive Skin Guide to SPF & Summer Sun - Prep Essentials

Lifestyle

Lifestyle
Lifestyle

Fashion

Fashion
Fashion

College & Post-Grad

College & Post-Grad
College & Post-Grad

A Sensitive Skin Guide to SPF & Summer Sun

I am still barely dipping my toes into the vast expanse of skincare treatments, remedies, and products that are out there (and am slowly acquiring quite a list of favorites along the way!) I have often mentioned what incredibly sensitive skin that I have on here - and by sensitive, I'm talking recently developing an allergy to Neosporin.

I went from having never seen a Dermatologist in my life, to visiting one 17 times in the course of four months this time last year after a series of pretty major allergic reactions, so it's safe to say that I'm a huge chicken when it comes to trying out anything new, skin-wise. 

The unfortunate thing is that I'm reaching an age where taking protective and preventative steps towards looking after my skin is becoming more and more important to me (and actually was one of my top goals for 2017). It's hard to find treatments and products that will work for me when I'm constantly wondering if it's worth breaking out in hives over. 



While not everyone may have quite as severe of reactions as I do, I do get a lot of questions from fellow sensitive skin sufferers asking what my favorite products are in every category. While I'm hopeful that by this time next year I'll have a much more comprehensive list, I wanted to share the few that I've really fallen in love with now that things are heating up outside. 

I'm very cautious about using SPF and wearing sunscreen, especially in the summer months. You may not need to lather up a full body layer of pool-level sunblock on a daily basis, but wearing something on your face and hands every day with a light SPF will do wonders for your skin down the line.

Moisturizers

1. Aveeno Daily Moisturizer - SPF 30: This one has to come first as it's far and beyond my favorite of the bunch. I like this one because for the days that I might be wearing makeup on top, this one stays light and doesn't make my face feel overloaded the way my other daily moisturizer does. I usually re-apply around 2pm, especially if I have plans after work.

2. Neutrogena Healthy Defense - SPF 50: Neutrogena has long been a go-to for all of my sunscreen needs. This one tends to be what I bring on trips where in more beachy climates or where I'll be in the sun all day long. Pro tip - using this doesn't mean you don't still need a regular face sunscreen. I actually layer both on for beach and pool days.

3. CeraVe Night Moisturizer - SPF 30: The easiest way for me to remember moisturizer is right before bed, when I'm going through the rest of my nightly routine. This one does feel a little bit heavier than the others, but since it is a night lotion it makes no difference to me, and my skin feels so much softer by morning.


Makeup

3. It Cosmetics CC Cream - SPF 50: For a one-stop, do-it-all solution, this one is the winner. I only recently learned the magic of CC creams, but they really cover everything and more. Hydrates your skin, smoothes it out, brightens, and even has anti-aging elements. The SPF is just the cherry on top!

4. Bare Escentuals Bareskin Foundation - SPF 20: I've always loved Bare Minerals and Bare Escentuals, both for the reason that they're natural enough to never irritate my skin (even when I'm too tired lazy to wash my makeup off...oops! This foundation isn't my daily go-to, but it's definitely regularly mixed into my routine every once in a while.

Hand & Body Lotions

5. Supergoop Forever Young Hand Cream - SPF 40: Fortunately for me, my hands are the least sensitive part of my skin, so I don't have to worry quite as much about what I use, but I still like to avoid anything too perfume-scented or flowery. Truth be told, this one smells like sunscreen, but if it's getting the job done it doesn't bother me!

6. Aveeno Daily Lotion - SPF 15: I'm not particularly fair-skinned, so this has been my favorite body lotion for years. The lavender scent is my favorite (partly because it's the only way I can have a pleasant smell without being allergic to whatever perfumes have been added) but partly because it's so calming.


No comments