Being In a Vacation Mindset - Prep Essentials

Lifestyle

Lifestyle
Lifestyle

Fashion

Fashion
Fashion

College & Post-Grad

College & Post-Grad
College & Post-Grad

Being In a Vacation Mindset

Packing up this week for my trip to Michigan to visit my parents for the 4th of July, I kept mentioning all of the relaxing activities that I was really excited to do while we were there. Of course, being on vacation allows you to be fully relaxed and have time that you wouldn't normally have, but I started to think about why it is that I feel like it's such a special treat to having a relaxing week ahead. 

I was reflecting on our time in the Outer Banks for Memorial Day, and all of the mental time off I got from the hustle of my regular daily life. Between working a full-time job, trying to exercise and take care of myself, get on a regular sleep schedule, blogging pretty much every moment I'm not doing something else...things definitely get put on the back burner more often than I'd like. 

While we were in Outer Banks, I was able to finish six books (recap of those is found right here) and felt so entirely and completely relaxed. This had me thinking - why do we need to go to a different location from where we live just to allow ourselves into that vacation mindset?


I know that we obviously can't ignore our daily responsibilities when we're home and grinding through our daily lives, but our mental state is totally and completely in control, and this is something I realized I want to place a much higher value on. 

Even if it's for five minutes, 30 minutes, or 1-2 hours a day...why can't we achieve that "vacation mindset" somewhere in our lives every day, or a few days a week? 

Think about it: when you're on vacation, you explore more, try harder to find fun activities and places to go, you fully drop everything and disconnect to give yourself time to breathe, relax, and...read six books for example! Ha ;)


I've spent a lot of time finding little areas in my apartment and around Chicago that feel like an "escape" to me. My back patio, my bedroom, and my favorite reading spot by the lakeshore are my go-to places when I want to relax and unwind. 

For the first half of this year, my travel schedule was almost constant. Every time I sent a snap from yet another airport, my phone would fill up with a flurry of texts and snap messages asking, "Where are you going this time?!" The second half of the year is going to be almost the opposite, so I'm thinking this would be the perfect time to test out my "vacation mindset" goal and find more ways to treat myself and my life like I'm living on vacation 24/7.

I think to start with, I'm going to block off time in my calendar three days a week, and see how that goes! Does anyone else try to give themselves scheduled time to go into "vacation mode?" Any tips or tricks would be so appreciated!

I'll check back in with an update at the end of the month and hopefully things go well with this little experiment!

No comments